Suppose you were the unquestioned King of a sports league…
Which league would you rule and… Why?
What changes would you make?
Would things be better or worse after your reign?
Here’s TheLongTalk’s take…
• TLT would be King of the NBA… cause it’s the only league he knows enough (or cares enough) about to be worth controling
• Oh, so many changes… small changes, big change… but why go small when you’re King. As King you Go Big… YOU GO HUGE!
– – First, lets add 10 teams to the current NBA
1. Seattle… of course
2. Vegas… why not
3. Pittsburgh… so PA can rock two teams
4. Chicago… they’re a big market, they can sustain two teams
5. Mexico City… if the National Basketball Association can be in Canada, it can be in Mexico
6. Vancouver… let’s head back to Grizzle-land
7. Kentucky… did you know the ABA had the Kentucky Colonels?… let’s bring ‘em back
8. Buffalo… let’s throw upstate NY a bone
9. Sioux Falls… cause the middle of the NBA map has a big hole in it
10. Providence… let’s jam another team into that tiny area on the East Coast, why not?
– – Second, lets form an NBA Majors by kicking 10 of the current teams out and into the Minors
1. Sacramento… you’re gone
2. Clippers… should be Lakers, but lets be honest… even a King couldn’t kick the Lakers out of the league
3. Nets… moving down to the Minors
4. Charolette… you’re going with ‘em
5. Dallas… once Dirk is gone will this team really be anything?
6. Phoenix… being in the Minors wouldn’t be forever, so you could always come back
7. Orlando… they’re almost not even in the league right now as is
8. Knicks… really, when was the last time the Knicks were any good?
9. New Orleans… although, might be this would kill the team… might be… they’re already small market
10. Washington… I know they’re a “contender” in the East, but would anyone really miss ‘em?
– – Third, let’s create new leagues in Europe, Africa, and Asia with 10 teams in the Majors and 10 in the Minors
– – Each of the 4 leagues (The NBA being the American League) would play their own season, within their own league. Major teams would play mostly against other Major teams, with maybe one game scheduled against each of the Minor teams.
– – Once per season there would be a HUGE Mid-Season Tournament (screw the stupid All Star Game) with players from all 4 leagues coming together to play a single elimination 3-on-3 Tournament. Each League would send 2 Major 3-on-3 Teams and 2 Minor 3-on-3 teams for a total of 16 teams. The location of the game would rotate from year to year between America, Europe, Asia, and Africa.
– – Once the Playoffs rolled around each league would crown their own Champion… then the 4 Champions would meet in New York City to play a single elimination World Championship Series.
– – At the end of each season the 6 worst teams in the Majors would be bumped down to the Minors and the 6 best teams in the Minors would move up to the Majors. Rookies would enter all 4 leagues as Unrestricted Free Agents, able to sign a contract with any team (either Minor or Major) at any price they wanted.
• Would the NBA be better off after my reign… probably not, but it’d be one heck of a ride.
What about you all out there, What would you do as King of a sports league?