Sam Neil Concept 31

Sam Neil Concept

I’ve come up with a concept.  I call it the Sam Neil concept.  It’s simple, let me explain.  The other day I watch a 1997 sci-fi flick for the first time called Event Horizon.  It’s good, not great.  It’s about a spaceship that is trying to use new technology to travel faster than the speed of light.  The ship, the Event Horizon, disappears during these tests and then appears about 7 years later and a crew is sent to investigate the ship.  The movie was a bit more horror than I expected, however it went somewhere I didn’t see coming, which is always nice.  I’m trying not to give an spoilers away, just go watch it, it’s worth it.

But, there was just one problem with the film, I kept looking for the dinosaurs.  Yes, dinosaurs.  Is there any mention of dinosaurs in the film?  No.  Is there even a hint that they’re roaming out in space somewhere on this ship?  Nope.  Should anything make someone think of dinosaurs in regards to the plot, setting, theme, ideas of this film?  Absolutely not.  Then why did I think of dinosaurs?

Because of this guy:

Yes, because Even Horizon has in it Dr. Allan Grant, oh await, I mean Sam Neil.  My guess is that you look at a picture of the drastically underrated Sam Neil the first (and probably only) movie that comes to mind is ________________________.

Yup, Jurassic Park.  Every time I see this guy I think of the island where dinosaurs are given a second chance at life.  I don’t see this guy as an actor, I see him as a paleontologist that is trying to contain the dinosaur outbreak at Jurassic Park.

So this is how the Sam Neil Concept came to mind.  Sam Neil, a talented actor who has been in other good films, instantly gets associated with one role, Dr. Allen Grant from Jurassic Park.

This is the Sam Neil concept; when you see an actor or actress your mind instantly triggers one specific movie they are in and you forever associate that person with only that movie and it seems strange to see them outside the world of whatever movie they have acted in.  I don’t think there is a better example of this in Hollywood than with Sam Neil and Jurassic Park.  Hence, when you see someone and think of them for one role only I declare it be known as the Sam Neil Concept.

Now the question is, what other actors and actresses could you apply the Sam Neil Concept to?

31 thoughts on “Sam Neil Concept

1. Reply TheLongTalk Nov 10, 2014 4:20 pm

Here’s an example that takes the Sam Neil Concept to an entirely new level.

Think of Pretty Woman.

Who are you thinking of?

If it’s Richard Gere then you’re a weirdo, but if it’s Julia Roberts TLT would ask you to now think of what Julia Roberts characters name is in Pretty Woman?

No IMDB cheating… think it over… do you have it? I’ll give you 15 more seconds…

You don’t have it do you?

That’s because Julia Roberts = Pretty Woman.

You see Sam Neil = Dr. Grant in Jurassic Park, but Julia Roberts = Pretty Woman. She is the movie, not the character. She takes the Sam Neil Concept and ups it to a higher level.

TheLongTalk

2. Reply 12 Nov 10, 2014 4:25 pm

Wrong. That’s not how you apply the Sam Neil Concept. If you were to tell me Julia Roberts, or show me a picture of her and ask what movie instantly came to mind I could name five.

1. Steel Magnolias
    2. Hook
    3. Oceans 11
    4. Mystic Pizza
    5. August: Osage County

There you go. Julia Roberts is too well known for the Sam Neil Concept to be applicable to her. In the Sam Neil Concept you start with the actor/actress and go from there. Not the movie first, that’s going in some sort od crazy bizarro world reverse order. Try again TLT.

3. Reply 12 Nov 10, 2014 4:50 pm

Here is another, perhaps even better example than Sam Neil:

What’s the first (and for most people) only thing that comes to mind with that guy?

The same for this one, coincidentally, from the same movies.

That is how the Sam Neil Concept works

4. Reply TheLongTalk Nov 10, 2014 4:50 pm

If you think of Steel Magnolias first when you think of Julia Roberts, you are also a weirdo.

What about this guy?

Does he work?

5. Reply TheLongTalk Nov 10, 2014 5:03 pm

What about a reverse Sam Neil.

Here’s a guy that is known far and wide for his acting ability, but can you think of one character name or one specific role that stands out above the rest. The guy is basically a super talented chameleon.

6. Reply 12 Nov 10, 2014 5:05 pm

Using an IMDB page as an Example is terrible. I instantly thought that guy looked familiar and tried to place him. Then I say Who framed Roger Rabbit and Hook on his credits. So it might’ve if I’d seen just a picture.

Steel Magnolias is a fine movie, that my wife has watched several times and I’ve watched with her.

Why are you trying to change my concept? Make up your own if you want but stop raining on my Sam Neil Concept parade.

Back to Sam Neil Concept, here is another example:

7. Reply 12 Nov 10, 2014 5:12 pm

And here is the example of an actress. What movie comes to mind when you see her?

8. Reply TheLongTalk Nov 10, 2014 5:17 pm

TLT is not trying to rain on your Sam Neil parade, TheLongTalk legitimately feels that Bob Hoskins is a Sam Neil Concept candidate.

(Alright the reverse Sam Neil = Ed Harris was a bit of a sprinkle)

Bob Hoskins is the detective from Roger Rabbit. Some people might – MIGHT – know him from Hook, but most everyone – if they know him at all – knows him from Roger Rabbit.

If you know Sam Neil, you know Dr. Grant. If you know Bob Hoskins, you know Roger Rabbit.

Isn’t that how it works? Is TheLongTalk misunderstanding the Sam Neil Concept?

Also, TLT’s never seen Steel Magnolias and it might be a fine movie, but if it’s the first movie you think of when you think of Julia Roberts… you’re a weirdo.

9. Reply 12 Nov 10, 2014 5:20 pm

You’re right with the concept and it applying to Bob Hoskins. Although, with the picture I saw of him i thought of Smee more than the detective from Rodger Rabbit.

10. Reply TheLongTalk Nov 10, 2014 5:27 pm

So if TheLongTalk understands the Sam Neil Concept correctly, then the difference between being a Sam Neil Concept candidate – an actor who’s body of work is defined for better or for worse by one role – and just being an actor that is typecast is the difference between this person…

(Sam Neil Concept Candidate)

and This Person…

(Typecast actor stuck playing the same role over and over)

11. Reply 12 Nov 10, 2014 7:47 pm

I don’t feel like this is a hard concept to understand. Are you just being contrary for the sake of being contrary or do you really not get it?

Come on! TTLT (The TOO Long Talk) you’re better than this.

12. Reply TheLongTalk Nov 10, 2014 8:20 pm

TheLongTalk isn’t trying to being contrary at all.

Janet Leigh seems like a perfect Sam Neil Concept candidate. Janet Leigh is Psycho. She is immediately identifiable with that one movie, even though IMDB has her listed as having 84 other movie credits.

If someone knows who Janet Leigh is they know because she’s the lady from Psycho. Her only other claim to fame is being Jamie Lee Curtis’s mother.

Now Vince Vaughn on the other hand (also from Psycho… not the one you’re thinking of) is not a Sam Neil Concept candidate, because although people know him for playing a particular kind of character, he has no iconic role to identify him.

Vince Vaughn has been typecast, but he’s no Sam Neil.

13. Reply 12 Nov 10, 2014 8:31 pm

TTLT, Vince Vaughn was one of Rudy’s teammates, in the movie, not the movie Rudy, not the real story about Rudy.

It took you long enough to catch on.

14. Reply 12 Nov 10, 2014 8:34 pm

I would think he would count, although I was talking movies not T.V. but the same concept applies I guess.

And just so we can keep Godwin’s Law intact. Who do you think this is:

https://myfavoritewasteoftime.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/alec.jpg – it’s an actor playing this man, not the actual man. who is the actor?

15. Reply TheLongTalk Nov 10, 2014 8:45 pm

It didn’t take all that long. TLT had it on the second try.

Bob Hoskins works, he fits the Sam Neil Concept criteria. Ed Harris was never meant to work, he’s a bizarro Sam Neil Concept candidate. Janet Leigh works, and Vince Vaughn was an example of a typecast person that has not yet managed to reach Sam Neil status.

(Vince Vaughn played with the real Rudy? Is that what you’re saying?)

Sean Austin from the Rudy movie can’t be a Sam Neil Concept candidate because he’s too famous for being Samwise and the kid from The Goonies.

The Kurgan might be better known, buy the general public, as the guy from Starship Troopers then he is for Highlander. Sarah Connor would kick Princess Leia’s royal butt. Luke is and will always be the Joker in TheLongTalk’s book.

(Plus Julie Roberts does work as a theory of her own. A higher then Sam Neil Concept Concept)

16. Reply TheLongTalk Nov 10, 2014 8:47 pm

Alec Guinness. It’s the ears and the chin that give him away.

17. Reply 12 Nov 10, 2014 8:50 pm

There is no way, no way the Kurgan is better known for being in Star Ship Troopers, I even forgot he was in Star Ship Troopers. You are wrong, very wrong.

I think this is a fun Concept though. Much better than anything you’ve come up with, well, ever.

You only knew that because it had “alec” in the title of that website. There’s no way you would’ve know that otherwise. But Alec Guinness could be a Sam Neil Concept Candidate…that would be three from Star Wars.

18. Reply TheLongTalk Nov 10, 2014 9:02 pm

12 you are wrong. TLT guessed Alec Guinness based entirely on the picture. It was the ears and the chin and the fact that you (12) said it was not actually Hitler.

Because TheLongTalk knew it wasn’t Hitler, TLT looked closer at the picture and the ears and the chin gave him away. Believe or don’t believe, but it is the truth.

19. Reply 12 Nov 10, 2014 9:04 pm

I don’t believe you

20. Reply TheLongTalk Nov 10, 2014 9:12 pm

TheLongTalk didn’t even see that the link said alec in it until you, 12, pointed it out. It’s the last thing in the link before the .jpg

Who reads an entire link? Not TheLongTalk.

Plus the idea of Playing In Turkey is much more fun then the Sam Neil Concept.

21. Reply 12 Nov 10, 2014 9:14 pm

Playing In Turkey?

And don;t talk bad about my Sam Neil Concept. This is the first non-sport topic and the first in over a year and I think it’s pretty darn good thank you.

22. Reply TheLongTalk Nov 10, 2014 9:24 pm

Playing In Turkey, born on Carguments nearly 4 years ago, didn’t catch on at all but it should have.

“The Sam Neil Concept is a fine concept, there’s nothing wrong with the Sam Neil Concept, but Playing In Turkey as the sports equivalent of Jumping The Shark… I don’t know, that’s a pretty cool concept.” Said everyone

23. Reply TheRoadTo90 Nov 12, 2014 1:51 am

Daniel Radcliffe will forever be Harry Potter.

That’s probably the one that sticks out in my mind the most.

That could apply to many characters in Harry Potter as well.

Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn as well.

24. Reply 12 Nov 12, 2014 3:34 pm

RT90,

I agree with Radcliff as Harold Potter (I’m certain his real name is Harold, he was just called Harry for short, maybe that’s another topic for another day). I even thought about adding that to the list earlier while trying to explain this ultra-simple concept to The TOO Long Talk.

Also, when number 12 talked to his wife about this concept the first person she came up with was Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn…I guess great minds think alike.

25. Reply 12 Nov 12, 2014 4:11 pm

Also, you saying this could apply to many other Harold Potter characters as well has got me thinking. Maybe this concept could be adapted to apply for the whole cast (or most of the whole cast) for movies.

For example:

Star Wars…Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher, will always be Luke and Leia. Alec Guiness will always be Obi Wan and Billy Dee Williams will always be Lando. Harrison Ford breaks this concept, but actually, he helps in another way. There is always one actor that separates himself/herself from the rest of the others to have other more famous roles.

For example:
    In Harold Potter, Radcliff will always be Harry, Rubert Grint will always be Ron, Emma Watson will always be Harmonie. But then you have Robert Pattinson who was in the Potter films but has gone on to a more recognizable role and also Helena Bonham Carter who has been in a ton of stuff. Again, I would say that Helena Bonham Carter is the Harrison for of Star Wars. Known for much more than just the one series of films.

This also works with LOTR
    – Mortenson as Aragorn, Elijah Wood as Froto, etc. and then Ian McKellen is known for a few others things as well, especially Magneto. And Orlando Bloom, he might be better known for Pirates of the Caribbean than LOTR.

Interesting to think about.

26. Reply TheLongTalk Nov 12, 2014 5:23 pm

So if the Sam Neil Concept is carried over to an entire cast would it then be known as the Dirty Dancing Idea

Cause if you think Dirty Dancing you think Patrick Swayze and when you think Jennifer Grey you think Dirty Dancing. Plus if you think at all about Jerry Orbach you think Law&Order… then you immediately think “Nobody puts baby in a corner!”

Also: LOTR has to many exceptions to the rule to be included. When TLT thinks Ian McKellen TLT thinks Gandolf equally as much as Magneto. Plus Orlando is more closely connected to Pirates. Elijah Wood has too much childhood fame on his record for a single movie to define him and Sean Astin is the Goonies. Charlie is Charlie from Lost and Sean Bean is probably better known for predicting the whether as an internet meme then he is for LOTR. Cate Blanchett is too good to be boxed into Galadriel. Even Christopher Lee is more recognizable as Count Dooku then as Saruman.

27. Reply 12 Nov 12, 2014 5:29 pm

I don’t think of Dirty Dancing when I think of Patrick Swayze. In fact I didn’t even know he was in that movie, but then again I’ve never seen it. I think of Ghost and Point Break with the Swayze, so immediately Dirty Dancing is out as a premise for this expanded idea.

TTLT, why do you keep trying to hijack my Concept?

And I think there is more than enough characters you immediately think of with LOTR for them to be included on the cast list of the Sam Neil Concept.

28. Reply TheLongTalk Nov 12, 2014 5:45 pm

12 you’ve seen Ghost but not Dirty Dancing? Weird.

That would suggest that you have nothing against Patrick Swayze in a romantic style (some might say Chick Flick) movie.

Now if you’d said you think of him from Road House or Donnie Darko or Red Dawn then TLT would’ve thought you’d only seen his action movies.

But if you’ve seen Ghost, then why no Dirty Dancing?