TheRoadTo90’s January Cargument: One Issue Voter 8

The question is simple. If you were solely a one issue voter what would that one issue be and why?

For me, it’s pretty simple. My issue would be a candidate’s stance on abortion. I know, I know, abortion is and has been a widely debated topic. However, I can’t thing of another issue that has such a drastic impact on our country.

For starters, there’s the whole “…all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness” part of the Declaration of Independence. I find it interesting, then, that the right to Life is denied to the unborn child.

You’ll hear people throw out the rape, incest and health of the mother argument too. I get it. And I’ve never been through any of those experiences, but painful as I’m sure they all are, I would want to err on the side of life. I’m fairly certain, though I have no way of knowing, that most mothers would err on the side of life also.

According to U.S. Census statistics, 1.21 MILLION abortions were performed in 2007. I’m not sure if the number has gone up or down since then (although the trend appears to be downward according the document), but if we project that out, that means almost 6 MILLION children have been aborted in the time since then. If you go back since Roe v. Wade was enacted, it’s estimated that 50 MILLION abortions have been performed (http://prolifeaction.org/faq/abortion.php”)

To me, the number of innocent lives taken every day in a “Christian” nation is sickening, so the Pro Life candidate gets my vote.

8 thoughts on “TheRoadTo90’s January Cargument: One Issue Voter

1. Reply TheLongTalk Jan 30, 2012 8:33 pm

Boxers or briefs.

2. Reply TheRoadTo90 Jan 30, 2012 11:26 pm

That’s all you got The Long Talk?

3. Reply TheLongTalk Jan 31, 2012 5:56 pm

It’s something that means a great deal to me.

4. Reply # 12 Feb 1, 2012 4:26 pm

I don’t know how one could be a one issue voter. There are just too many things to take into consideration to let one issue decide how you vote, unless of course that issue deals with life and death. I gotta agree with RT90 on this one, life is too precious to be killed off in such huge numbers. I’m all for allowing a woman to do with her body whatever she chooses to do, but abortion clearly involves more than just the woman’s body, it also involves the body of an unborn life. So yes, the issue of abortion for me is a big one that determines how I vote.

#12

And by the way, I didn’t know The (too) Long Talk could have that short of a response…does this mean the end of the world is near?

5. Reply TheLongTalk Feb 1, 2012 7:53 pm

6. Reply danielle Feb 3, 2012 8:43 pm

I think it’s interesting that #12 said – I’m all for allowing a woman to do with her body whatever she chooses to do, but abortion clearly involves more than just the woman’s body, it also involves the body of an unborn life.

Maybe i am generalizing and forgive me if I’m wrong but I don’t hear many guys say that. Most guys say – sure it’s the woman’s body – she can do what she wants. What about when/if it were your child? Would they say the same thing?

I think if you use the argument that a woman is allowed to make the decisions for her body then I should be able to kill my 9 month – 3 year old – 10 year old child. Without punishment. They were once part of my body and I was allowed to make that decision while they were in utero. Why not now? Or my mom should be able to kill me if she so pleases – if you use that argument.

This is an issue that I don’t think will EVER be resolved. But I do want my President to be pro-life all the way.

7. Reply TheRoadTo90 Feb 4, 2012 2:44 pm

If the end is near, it’s been a pleasure.

• Reply # 12 Feb 7, 2012 4:26 pm

Danielle – We’re making the same argument. A woman can do to her body what she wants. But abortion includes more than just her body so she shouldn’t be allowed to do whatever she wants, and yes the man should have a say. It’s ridiculous that the father gets no say in what happens to his child.

Rt90 – Indeed it has. Cheers.